Hummus topped with fried lamb can be part of a small meal (served in individual bowls) or a starter served up on a generous platter. Pair it with pita bread and salad. For your vegetarian friends, skip the lamb, the recipe tastes delicious with just the Hummus and lemon sauce. Add nuts prior to serving for sensational flavour. Pine nuts and/or pistachios work best.
For Hummus, You Will Need:
250 g dried chickpeas
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250 g tahini paste
4 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves, crushed garlic
100 ml ice cold water
1 1/2 tsp salt
For Fried Lamb, You Will Need:
300g fillet of lamb or beef, finely chopped by hand
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice (Indian garam masala)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1-2 tsp red chilli flakes
2 tsp crushed dried za’atar or oregano leaves
2 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
2 tsp olive oil (divided)
For Lemon Sauce, You Will Need:
10g finely chopped parsley
1 finely chopped green chilli
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 cloves, crushed garlic
1/4 tsp salt
Making The Hummus:
1. Place the boiled and drained chickpeas in a food processor and blitz till they form a paste.
2. With the food processor running, add the tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Blitz till everything is well incorporated.
3. Gradually add in the iced water and allow it to blend till a smooth and creamy paste is formed. This will take about 5 minutes.
4. Spoon the hummus into a bowl. Cover the surface with a cling film such that it sits upon the hummus. This will prevent it from forming a crust and drying out. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
The hummus can be prepared 2 days in advance and kept in the fridge. Take out 30 minutes prior to assembling it with lamb and lemon sauce.
Ramazaan Recipes: Win a prize! Participate Now and win online shopping vouchers from Amazon!
Making The Fried Lamb:
1. Place the lamb and all ingredients with 1 tsp olive oil in a bowl. Keep the ghee/ butter and 1 tsp olive oil for frying later.
2. Mix well, cover and allow the mixture to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or preferably overnight.
3. Heat the butter or ghee and the olive oil in a frying pan over medium–high heat. Add the meat in 2 batches and stir as you fry each batch for 3-5 minutes.
4- Lamb should preferably be fried on the day of serving.
Making The Lemon Sauce:
1. Place all the ingredients for the lemon sauce in a bowl and stir well.
Assembling The Hummus:
In a serving bowl, spoon out the hummus and leave a slight hollow in the centre of it. Make a bed of chopped parsley and mint. Spoon the fried lamb on the bed. Drizzle with the lemon sauce. Garnish with nuts (if using). Serve with pita bread and salad
TO GO BACK TO THE MAIN ARTICLE FOR REST OF THE RECIPES, CLICK HERE.
If you liked this recipe, try our Spicy Chicken Wraps for a meal the entire family will love!