A major fire broke out in a busy shopping plaza in Quetta early on Tuesday, coming just days after a devastating blaze at Gul Plaza in Karachi that burned for more than 36 hours and claimed dozens of lives earlier this week.

In the early hours of January 20, 2026, a severe fire erupted at a private plaza on Prince Road – one of Quetta’s most active commercial thoroughfares – engulfing dozens of shops in fierce flames that spiralled rapidly through the structure.
Rescue officials and eyewitness accounts reported that dense smoke and towering flames made initial firefighting exceptionally difficult, forcing fire brigade teams and provincial disaster authorities to work under challenging conditions throughout the morning.
Firefighting Response & Operations
According to authorities, six fire brigade vehicles along with four Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) units were deployed to the scene, where teams used fireballs and other methods to try to contain the intense blaze.
Police and other security personnel were also present at the site to ensure public safety and facilitate the emergency response. Thick smoke and the severity of the fire – which had spread quickly through the building – slowed efforts to fully extinguish the flames.
By mid-day, firefighting crews had brought the blaze under a degree of control, and cooling operations were underway to prevent flare-ups.
Damage and Losses
According to official reports, the fire gutted at least 120 shops in the plaza, affecting businesses that sold mobile phones, electronics, shoes, garments and other goods.
Fire officials told Dawn that the blaze was first reported at around 4:30 am and spread quickly, stoked by the building’s contents and nearby electrical infrastructure.
Shopkeepers arrived at the scene as the fire spread and watched their premises burn. One affected trader told media crews that goods worth billions of rupees were lost and that almost nothing remained inside their shops.
Authorities said the fire was likely caused by a short circuit, and that nearby transformers and power cables were also affected, complicating efforts to bring the flames under control.
While no confirmed deaths have been reported so far in Quetta, rescue officials said three people – including two firefighters – lost consciousness during the operation as crews battled the blaze. Police and rescue teams evacuated 15 people who had been trapped inside including a group of hairdressers and a security guard, according to Dawn.
Authorities have directed all relevant agencies to remain on alert until the cooling process is complete, and have ordered thorough safety inspections of the damaged building to assess structural risks.
Sources: DAWN News, The Express Tribune, and Dunya News.

Comments 1