Three people were killed in a devastating shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday in what authorities are now investigating as a possible hate crime. The attack unfolded just before midday prayers at the mosque complex in the Clairemont neighborhood which sent shockwaves through Muslim communities across the United States.

According to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, two teenage suspects are believed to be 17 and 19 years old and were later found dead from apparent self inflicted gunshot wounds. Investigators are still working to determine the motive behind the attack but police say the location of the shooting has led them to initially classify the case as a hate crime.
“This is every community’s worst nightmare,” Wahl said during a press briefing.
The Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the largest mosques in the county and also houses a school. Authorities confirmed that while several children were present on the premises none were physically harmed. Families were later reunited at a designated reunification center set up by officials.
Among those killed was a security guard at the mosque whose actions are being credited with preventing an even greater tragedy. Officials described him as heroic and said that he played a critical role in minimizing the threat during the chaos.
“I think it’s fair to say his actions undoubtedly saved lives today,” Wahl said.
The shooting took place after police had already begun searching for one of the suspects. Earlier in the day, the teenager’s mother contacted authorities and reported that her son was missing, is suicidal, and had taken several firearms along with her vehicle. Officers were actively searching for the pair when emergency calls began coming in from the Islamic Center.
At nearly the same time, dispatchers received reports of gunfire from a vehicle a few blocks away. One landscaper nearby may have narrowly escaped death after a bullet reportedly struck his helmet which likely saved his life.
The FBI has joined the investigation and is asking members of the public to come forward with any information related to the attack. A tip line has also been established as authorities work to piece together the events leading up to the shooting.
California Governor Gavin Newsom said he had been briefed on the incident and expressed condolences to the victims and their families.
“Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives,” Newsom said in a statement. “Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith.”
In response to the attack, police departments in cities including Los Angeles and New York announced increased patrols around mosques and Islamic centers as a precautionary measure.
As investigations continue, the tragedy has once again reignited conversations around hate fueled violence and the safety of religious communities in public spaces meant for peace and prayer.
This is a developing story.
Sources: Al Jazeera, The Guardian
