A tragic incident has claimed the life of a three-year-old boy in Karachi after he fell into an uncovered manhole near Nipa Chowrangi, Gulshan-e-Iqbal.

According to local reports, the family had visited a departmental store for shopping. As they exited, the child – identified as Ibrahim, son of Nabeel – pulled free from his father’s grasp and ran ahead. A motorcycle parked close by obscured the view of an open manhole, and the boy tragically fell into it.
Rescue efforts began after the incident, with emergency services including Rescue 1122 and other volunteer organisations mobilising. The search continued through the night, despite challenges such as inadequate lighting and the absence of vital infrastructure: responders lacked official sewerage maps, heavy machinery, and concrete details about the drain’s layout – all complicating the operation.
Local residents, deeply distressed and angered by the protracted search, staged protests. Roads were blocked, tyres were burnt, and some demonstrators clashed with media personnel – damaging vehicles including a DSNG van – which disrupted both coverage and rescue efforts.
On Monday, authorities recovered the child’s body, found 30 to 40 feet away from the site of the fall – officials said the strong water flow inside the drain had swept him away. The body was taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) for medico-legal formalities.
The lack of a manhole cover – especially in a busy area near a department store – has drawn sharp criticism from the victim’s family and local residents. They claim that parking fees had been collected from visitors, yet basic safety precaution – a cover on the drain – was never provided. The boy was reportedly the family’s only child.
In response, Murtaza Wahab, Mayor of Karachi, expressed condolences and said authorities would investigate how the manhole remained uncovered. He said the relevant departments have been directed to coordinate with each other to determine responsibility. According to him, CCTV footage from the nearby store is being obtained to assist the investigation.
A spokesperson for the provincial government, Sadia Javed, described the incident as “very heartbreaking” and said a formal inquiry has been launched. She pledged that strict action would be taken against those found responsible for negligence.
This tragic event highlights a recurring crisis: in recent months similar incidents have occurred across different parts of Karachi, with children losing their lives after falling into open or poorly maintained manholes or drains because of missing covers or inadequate infrastructure. In May 2025, a six-year-old boy drowned after falling into an open manhole in Jamshed Quarters, and in April 2025, a three-year-old child died after falling into an open sewer in the Moach Goth area during normal conditions.
The danger becomes even more severe during rainy weather, when heavy downpours flood the streets and hide open manholes beneath water. In the recent Karachi rains, several children drowned after slipping into submerged drains and uncovered manholes in areas such as Sohrab Goth and Liaquatabad, once again exposing the city’s fragile and unsafe drainage system. These repeated tragedies show that the problem is widespread, long-standing, and urgently in need of sustained action.
City residents and community leaders now demand urgent and decisive measures: a comprehensive audit of all drains and manholes in Karachi, immediate installation of covers on all open drains, clarity on which agency is responsible for maintenance, and ensuring a responsive complaint-handling mechanism. They insist that such steps are essential to prevent further loss of life.
As investigations proceed, many hope this incident serves as a wake-up call for municipal authorities and sparks genuine efforts to make Karachi’s streets – especially accessible public areas – safe for all, especially children.
Sources: Samaa News, Express Tribune, and DAWN News.

Comments 1